Sunday, May 01, 2005

Protecting my privacy

What one person considers friendly, others may consider creepy. Take, for example, finding someone's blog by Googling them. Blogs are inherently public, so it's probably silly to expect that other people would respect your privacy on what is a public forum.

Still, there are some folks you don't necessarily expect to see reading your blog -- for example, a new boss, or your grandma. (Unless you give those folks your URL, of course.) When a co-worker or casual acquaintance pops up on your blog, it may be a might unsettling. (In retrospect, I may have done this on one or two occasions when trying to be friendly. Oops.) I've never wanted to go the password-protected walled-garden route, but I don't want any random Larry to be able to find my blog.

So, I'm glad I decided to go "undercover" with this blog. I haven't had a really good run of posts here, but I plan to keep things here that I don't want everyone to connect to me. Sometimes it's nice to express oneself without being held to those expressions by employers and family who know how to use Google well enough to track you down.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?